Science Information Division (ST6)
The Science Information Division
is responsible for
- IT Support & System Development
The Division supports the information system, data management and archival needs
of all programs within the Office of Science and Technology, including the
Analysis, and the National Observer Programs.
Additionally, the Division provides cross-cutting IT support outside of the
Office, primarily to the NMFS Fishery Science Centers. Division staff have
decades of experience with fisheries information and management. Services the
Division provides includes development of web-based data management and
expertise on data management and database design and administration, static
web page development, and research on new information technologies.
- NMFS Scientific Publications:
Publications Office (SPO) in Seattle,
publishes formal (peer-reviewed) NMFS publications
which include the
quarterly journals Fishery Bulletin and Marine
Fisheries Review, and the
NOAA Professional Paper series. It also publishes
the informal NOAA
Technical Memorandum series and Special Publications.
electronic versions are freely and broadly disseminated
advance fisheries science and conservation.
- Geographic Information System (GIS) -
The Division supports the use of GIS as a tool
for fishery science and management, represents
science needs and futhers enterprise GIS efforts
through the NMFS and NOAA GIS Committees, and leads
research and development of GIS tools for Ecosystem
Approaches to Management.
In carrying out its mandate to provide the specialized information technology
required to support fisheries science and management, the division participates
with the Office of the Chief Information Officer in the development of
IT standards, and in the implementation of IT and IM policies, procedures,
and guidelines. The division has close interaction with the Fisheries
Science Centers and Regional Offices due to its involvement with the
Regional IT Coordinators (RITC).
Areas of Emphasis
- Liaison with the Northwest
Fisheries Science Center
- Fisheries Information Technology and Data Support
- fisheries statistics support
- cross cutting IT support within and outside of
- archivist and data holdings manager of NMFS fisheries,
observer, economic and social data
- information research and development
- Coordination of NMFS scientific publications
- production or oversight of NOAA Fisheries publications
- support for other scientific publications
- Chair, NMFS Publications Advisory Committee (PAC).
Chair of the PAC is Jim
- Coordination of the Science Publications Office
The Division contributes to and/or prepares or comments on:
- the NOAA strategic plan, annual fiscal year budgets
and annual spending plans;
- briefing papers, briefings, testimony and draft bills;
- controlled correspondence; and
- other requests for comment and
- reviews the Office may receive which relate the Division’s
area of expertise and responsibility.