Information and Statistics
- Data collection, data management, and general purpose
- Supports the stewardship of living marine resources.
- Provides for the information needs of the government,
public, and industry relative to NOAA Fisheries’ role
as stewards of living marine resources.
- Develop a National Information Gathering Plan that
represents a long-term commitment by NOAA Fisheries and
is implemented regionally.
- NOAA Fisheries’ largest annual budget commitment.
- Sound scientific basis for management.
- Assessments provide scientific advice for resource
management and policy.
- Assessments are driven by managers and tailored to
- The content and quality assurance of all assessments
is the responsibility of the Office of Science and Technology
and the field Science Center Directors.
- Long-range investment to improve NOAA Fisheries science
program and ability to conduct assessments in the future.
- Advocate a commitment by NOAA Fisheries to maintain
a significant ongoing level of strategic research (e.g.,
10% of its science program) as an annual investment.
- Develop a Strategic Research Plan designed by a Strategic
Research Team of senior scientific staff representing
all of NOAA Fisheries and approved by the NOAA Fisheries