Fisheries Statistics Division(ST1)
As the principal source of U.S. national fishery statistics, the Division
provides authoritative advice, coordination and guidance on matters related
to the collection, analysis and dissemination of biological, economic,
market and sociological statistics by NMFS and state agencies.
What Data Are We Concerned With?
Fisheries Dependent data for all disciplines from domestic recreational
fisheries, domestic commercial fisheries, and foreign commercial fisheries.
What Do We Do?
- We develop national standards, policies and operational
guidelines for the coordinated collection and publication
of fishery statistics;
- We coordinate regional commercial statistics surveys
and market data programs;
- We design and conduct national commercial and recreational
How Do We Accomplish This?
We coordinate with other Federal agencies, states, Interstate Commissions
and Regional Councils on:
- The collection of data and market information;
- The publication of official fishery statistics for
the United States; and
- The representation of NMFS on federal and international
What Products and Services Do We Produce?
- The Division provides statistics, strategic planning
and budget formulation advocacy, and coordination and
management among regional programs.
- The Division provides statistics to U.S. Government
agencies, foreign governments, national and international
organizations, private businesses, and individuals interested
in the management and development of U.S. fishery resources.
We provide these statistics as:
official statistical publications, such as the annual "Fisheries
of the U.S." series, CD-ROMS, and INTERNET WEB servers providing
on-line access to our computer databases.