National Oberver Program Activities
|Enhancements to Data Quality and Data Collection Procedures|
- To develop and evaluate Agency initiatives to improve the quality of observer data from regional observer programs.
- To evaluate the procedures for collection of observer data, including the review of data collection methodologies and bycatch estimation procedures.
- To develop technological and methodological enhancements to improve data collection techniques.
- To enhance the quality of data collected by observers through development of national standards for the collection, management, and distribution of observer data.
- To enhance integration of observer data with other data collection programs such as logbooks, VMS, and landing reports.
- To develop and update a national bycatch report for documentation of regional and national bycatch estimates and estimation procedures, identification of gaps in coverage, and input into strategic planning processes.
- To identify amendments under the Magnuson-Stevens Fishery Conservation and Management Act, Marine Mammal Protection Act, Endangered Species Act, and other federal legislation necessary to support observer program activities.
- To develop national policies on issues of national concern to observer programs, such as hiring and training observers, observer safety and health, and data confidentiality.
- To recognize and support the needs of observers so that they are able to collect high quality scientific data.
- To communicate NOP activities of interest to the observer community
- To identify the agency’s highest priorities for observer data collection and make recommendations on how observer programs can fulfill those needs.
- To review regional observer programs and make recommendations on how to improve program operations and administration
- To review the cost efficiency and effectiveness of observer program operations.
|Outreach and Education|
- To communicate the goals and objectives of NOAA Fisheries observer programs at a national level.
- To support and coordinate the outreach activities of regional observer programs.
- To formalize working relationships between observer programs and other state/federal agencies and organizations.
- To support and participate in the International Fisheries Observer Conference.
- To maintain an awareness of observer programs worldwide.
- To assist other NOAA Fisheries offices with international observer-related issues.