To sustain and enhance NOAA Fisheries’ science programs to enable sound conservation and management of the Nation’s living marine resources and their ecosystems.
The Office provides scientific advice on:
- Operational conservation and management resource decisions, as appropriate;
- Coordination of NOAA Fisheries activities to obtain ship and aircraft operational support;
- Leadership and management for activities related to the NOAA Fisheries Science Board;
- Coordination of scientific activities within NOAA Fisheries;
- Coordination of international scientific organizations; and
- Monitoring of global trends in fisheries.
The Office is responsible for the National Fisheries Statistics program, including the publication of Fisheries Statistics of the U.S. and Fisheries of the U.S., and management of the Scientific Publications Office. The Office Director serves as the NOAA Fisheries Senior Scientist.